Sequoyah - aka George Gist

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Sequoyah - aka George Gist

Post by Admin on Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah

Acc'd to a very great aunt Sequoyah was a cousin to at least one of my very great grandparents - Chief Major George Lowrey Jr & his wife Lucy Benge. I also heard grandpa George created an alphabet before Sequoyah but Sequoyah's came out first so that's the one the Cherokees went with. I need to find the time to learn this language before cousin Sequoyah haunts me. Neutral

Again, we didn't really have "records". We had what whites wrote about us, which was mostly about our chiefs & other prominent peoples, and, after the Trail of Tears, we had what Emmet Starr wrote about us. Mr. Starr got his info straight from the horse's mouth. And the horse got his info per mom or great granny. There is no real proof.

Nobody really knows who Sequoyah's dad was. His mom was Wut-teh & I believe she remained single most of her life. This means she worked so I'm sure kin helped raise him 'til he was old enough to fend for himself. He was lame so he couldn't be a farmer or warrior. Instead he invented & created...worked with his hands.

He began work to create a system of writing for the Cherokees in 1809 but it was adopted by the Cherokee Nation until 1825. In 1829 he moved to Sallisaw, Oklahoma where his cabin still stands. In 1842 he went off to Mexico to talk some Cherokees who reportedly moved there into moving to OK - the Cherokees new home. He died on the way about August 1843. His kin & fellow travelers put him in a cave for safe-keeping 'til they could return to get him then forgot which cave they put him in. Some claim to have since found him but the very great aunt who said he was a cousin didn't believe that was him.

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:26 pm