Haner Cemetery - Mayes County OK

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Haner Cemetery - Mayes County OK

Post by Admin on Fri May 30, 2014 2:28 am

A friend of mine told me about the Murphy Cemetery. So I looked up Murphy Cemetery @ Find A Grave & found one w/ 3 people in it. Then I went to the real world cemetery to find it's actually called Haner or Haner-Adair Cemetery & it's got a lot more then 3 people in it.

Murphy OK is a ghost town but it's still got people living in it. Acc'd to a man who's lived there all his life there's no such thing as the Murphy Cemetery. So I've had it deleted & at least 2 of the 3 people listed there moved to the Haner Cemetery. One of the people listed there (David Vann) was a duplicate therefore was hopefully deleted.

As far as the Haner Cemetery goes - it's actually 3 old cemeteries combined into 1. The Adair Cemetery, Earbob Cemetery & Haner Cemetery were moved here between the 40's & 50's due to Ft. Gibson lake. Around 1/2 the headstones here are marked Unknown w/ #'s on them. Acc'd to a Haner the 1st # was the row they were taken from in their original cemetery.

Among the known are Chief Lewis Downing, David & Martha Vann & Ben Joice's leg. What's the story behind Ben's leg? Acc'd to the Haner a train ran it over. There's Ben Joice's leg & also an unknown man's leg. What's the story behind burying limbs? Acc'd to gal across the street I talked to today Cherokees bury their limbs to prevent phantom pains.

So far I've spent 4 days out there photographing every stone or funeral home marker in the place. A few stones are in Cherokee so I'll go back once more w/ friend who can read Cherokee to see what those stones say. You can view my pics here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=98578 or here: http://uscemeteries.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/haner-cemetery/

Unless you're having trouble with registering please don't contact me personally. Read the FAQ's, site news/announcements & also search the forums. If you're still have problems w/ this site post questions here. Thanks. Wink

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:19 am