Francis Whitcomb Neal and Mary Elizabeth Lawson

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Francis Whitcomb Neal and Mary Elizabeth Lawson

Post by Admin on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:03 am

My maternal grandpa came from Zula Etoe Neal: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37459723.

I didn't meet this great grandma 'til my grandpa's funeral because he disowned her long before I was born. I also got to meet some sibs but since it was a funeral I didn't really catch everything. I've since visited with one sister both in person & via phone. But she's elderly & doesn't remember so much.

Acc'd to this great aunt she was 1/4 Cherokee. I thought her mother Mary Elizabeth Lawson was the 1/2 Indian but acc'd to auntie it was her father - Francis Whitcomb Neal.

I can't remember how I stumbled across his name - census or draft card? But there's census, draft card & now his headstone to back it up: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64858686.

Then I'm stumped. I found a census w/ him living with sister. Then I find a Francis the same age in two different households the same year. But with neither parents is there also a Martha.

In some of these instead of listing white they say American making it hard to tell if they mean Native American or American Indian.

For Mary Elizabeth Lawson I found marriage license for her & Francis showing they lived in Yell County Ark. I found a census where she's living with brother Thomas. Through Thomas I found parents John & Nancy Lawson of Yell County, Arkansas.

Francis died during the flu epidemic & was buried in Ark. I don't know if Mary married Ed Medlin before or after the move. But she & most if not all her kids plus a couple of grandkids didn't move to OK 'til after the rolls were shut down. Now they can't get cards.

Indeed I am stumped. One of the few census I can find w/ Francis, Mary & their children they're written down as white. Question

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 pm