Murrell House

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Murrell House

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 am

The one who built it was George Michael Murrell. He named it "Hunter's Home" because of his fondness for the fox hunt. He m. 2 sisters - first Minerva Ross then after she died, probably from Malaria, he m. Amanda Ross (nieces' of Chief John Ross). He & Minerva had no children. He & Amanda had about 6 children. The first couple were born in OK but then they moved to VA where they had the rest, died & were buried. They never returned to this house. Instead members of the Ross family lived in it.

All of the above was per this site: http://www.okhistory.org/sites/georgemurrell?full

Yet you've got somebody posting here: http://legends.websitetoolbox.com/post/The-Haunted-Murrell-Home%28ParkhillOklahoma%29-3078185 that this house was named after a man who died trying to save his family from the wrath of opposing forces during the civil war. That Mr. Murrell beat his slaves & let members of the KKK, which I don't believe existed yet, beat & murder them. That during the Civil War raiders from the North came along & shot & killed Mr. Murrell & raped & killed evidently 2nd wife plus 4 of their daughters. Obviously this person don't know what they're talking about.

I love all kinds of history including the history of homes & the people who built & lived in them. I also love ghost stories because they talk about the history of homes & the people who built & lived in them. But at least let them be true.

The only Murrell's who could be haunting this home would be Minerva Ross Murrell & George & Amanda's first child - Infant Murrell. Again, after the Murrell family moved off, the Ross family lived (& possibly died) in it. I don't know if anybody else bought & lived in it from the time the Ross family left 'til it was turned into a museum. If you do feel free to post. Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Murrell House

Post by Admin on Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I was just reading about this house again & learned a couple of my extended cousins once lived there.

This site: http://www.okhistory.org/sites/mhgenealogy says George & his 1st wife - Minerva Ross - didn't have kids but they helped raised her cousins Joshua and Jennie Pocahontas Ross. They were the children of Andrew Ross (Chief John Ross's brother) & Susan Lowrey (Chief Major George Lowrey Jr's daughter). After Jennie grew up she married George's nephew - John Dobbins Murrell. John was the son of George's brother Onslow Glenmon Murrell.

Unless you're having trouble with registering please don't contact me personally. Read the FAQ's, site news/announcements & also search the forums. If you're still have problems w/ this site post questions here. Thanks. Wink

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 am