Find A Grave

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Find A Grave

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 am

While visiting a paternal aunt she took me to several cemeteries which had our relatives in them & I got pics of many stones. I also spent days going through Tulsa cemeteries photographing the stones of my maternal side. Now what to do with all these pics?

Then I discovered Find A Grave. I thought it was just for the rich & famous but I thought wrong. It's for everybody including those not buried & even pets.

The good thing about them using memorials rather then lists is the keywords for the memorials are the names of the deceased. So to find your relatives - either via Google or FAG's own search feature - all you have to know is the name of the deceased.

The bad thing about them using memorials rather then lists is too many people mistake them for a memorial site, like Last-Memories.com, when they're not. They're a grave location site, like Interment.net, that just happens to use memorials rather then lists. In other words...this site is less for individuals trying to memorialize their loved ones & more for cemetery census takers with computer, net, software, data entry & image editing experience.

Just like with this community you don't have to join to search/view/read. You can even suggest a correction or post a flower/note without joining. But if you do suggest a correction, especially without reading the FAQ's, you may be ignored.

If you do decide to contribute the first thing you need to do is read the FAQ's. This is not the kind of site you join & just start pushing buttons. They have a certain way of doing things & you need to know what they are so you won't be banned. If their FAQ's don't answer your question I suggest posting it on their forum because you'll likely get an answer quicker there then if you email it to them.

Their FAQ's: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=listFaqs
    Their Support Forum: http://www.findagrave.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
    My Tutorial: http://findagrave-tutorial.blogspot.com
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Find A Grave

Post by Admin on Fri May 30, 2014 12:22 am

I'm becoming more & more frustrated with this site. I spend more time "trying" to clean up other people's messes then anything else.

I think reading the FAQ's should be a requirement rather then an option. And I think there should be tests before allowing anybody to join & contribute. If people can't/won't read & follow the directions & rules - they shouldn't be allowed. I posted my thoughts in their forum & although there was no finger pointing to any one person or cussing or anything they still deleted it.

On the last several emails I've sent to them Ancestry.com has replied. I asked why & they completely ignored me. So I went to their forums where I noticed someone else asked them why. And their response was they've hired & trained several new people who just happen to have Ancestry.com email addresses.

This is a lie. They've sold out to Ancestry. Their owner has posted a special page all about it. Within this page he claims Find A Grave will remain a free site. But if their admins/mods are liars - can we really believe him?

Ancestry started off free too. After hundreds/thousands of people joined, added a tree & added records - now they charge ppl to view "their" records. So I refuse to post trees or records there.

Now that FAG is an Ancestry site - I'm transferring most of my memorials to them. And my days of trying to clean up other people's messes are over.

Unless you're having trouble with registering please don't contact me personally. Read the FAQ's, site news/announcements & also search the forums. If you're still have problems w/ this site post questions here. Thanks. Wink

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:19 pm