Saline Court House - Rose, OK

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Saline Court House - Rose, OK

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 am

Acc'd to this site: http://www.salinecourthouse.net/index.html the Saline Courthouse is "the only remaining one of nine rural courthouses built in the 1880's by the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma". It also says "The rural courthouses had jurisdiction over all criminal misdemeanor crimes, and civil suits under $100 dollars. Cases involving over $100 were heard at the Supreme Court in Tahlequah, OK."

Site's like this: http://www.strangeusa.com/Viewlocation.aspx?id=56981#sthash.LQ893lk0.dpbs & this: http://www.prairieghosts.com/oklahoma.html claim it's haunted. They claim during a gunfight an Indian maiden was shot & dropped her baby in the raging waters of the creek. First of all I've been there several times now & I've never seen the creek waters raging. Second of all where's the documented evidence of these 2 murders?

They also talk about a hanging tree. Here again I'd like to see the documented evidence. Because again the courthouse website claims they only handled petty cases & anything major was taken to Tahlequah.

The only thing that's definitely true is there was a gunfight. This pdf file: http://digital.library.okstate.edu/chronicles/v033/v033p087.pdf talks about "the Saline Courthouse Massacre". But only 3 people died...so I wouldn't call it a massacre.

The 3 deaths were the outgoing sheriff Jesse Sunday, the incoming sheriff Dave Ridge (Jesse's 1/2 brother) & Thomas Baggett.

Basically Ridge's wife told him to go to Baggett's store. When he got to the area he ran into some friends & they had a few drinks. Baggett noticed them drinking & decided to lock up his store because he didn't like to deal with people under the influence. Ridge finally remembered why he went there for & tried to get into the store but couldn't. He started screaming for Baggett to open the door so Baggett opened the window & told him to go away & come back tomorrow. While they were arguing someone shot Baggett & he died right in front of his family.

Ridge tried to get in & help but couldn't so after a while he left. On his way home he ran into a couple of guys - one of whom accused him of shooting Baggett. Ridge denied it & accused his accuser of being the shooter. So his accuser, Sampson Rogers, beat him over the head with an unknown object & killed him.

Jesse Sunday was still sheriff. He heard about Baggett's death (but not Ridge's) & came to investigate. He took Cooie Bolin with him to the Teehee home, very near the scene of the crime. There they ran into Martin Rowe & John Colvard. Rowe denied seeing anything so Sunday tried to leave but was the next one shot. Bolin accused Rowe of being the shooter.

Rowe's story was quite different. He claimed he already knew he was suspected of killing Baggett & wanted to escape. So Sampson Rogers helped him get away. He claimed he then hooked up with Colvard & they prepared to defend themselves. And then there was a gunfight therefore no one knows exactly who killed Sunday.

Sunday didn't die right away. His family found him & before he died he claimed Rowe shot him. They say Rowe was taken to Tahlequah, tried, convicted & sentenced to hang. But before being hung they re-checked the case & decided they couldn't prove exactly who killed Sunday so his sentence was commuted to 10 years in the pen. But 3 mo's later he managed to escape.

As for Sampson Rogers - nobody would testify against him so he got away with murder too.

No maiden or her baby. No hanging tree. And no massacre. Only 3 deaths no one ever paid for. One in a shop no longer standing & the other 2 on the property. Even so...I've been out here at midnight & also 3 a.m. The only thing I saw were lightning bugs. The scariest thing to happen was someone pulling in behind us while we were parked at the closed gate. I thought it was the cops but it was somebody simply turning around to go the other direction.

They used to have a caretaker out here. And they need to get another one because idiots are going in to drink & smoke & it's just a matter of time before they burn the place down.

Sign

Courthouse

Courthouse

Rock Steps

Wood Carving

Inside of House

Inside of House

Inside of House

Inside of House

Inside of House

Inside of House

Inside of House

Jail

Entrance to Jail

Inside of Jail

Inside of Jail

Outside of Jail

Beyond The Jail

Springs Behind Jail

If anybody's been there pre-renovation please join & tell us what it was like. I would like to know if that jail house was always sitting on top of the springs like that. And if the floors were cut out back then. It didn't look big enough to hold many as it was. Laughing
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Saline Court House - Rose, OK

Post by Admin on Thu May 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I went to see courthouse & cemetery again recently. 2 windows have been broken out & another one on 2nd floor was left open. And it rained all the next day. Plus stone's missing from Teehee Family Cemetery.

I don't get it. All these articles said it was supposed to be renovated & turned into a park. Well they got rid of the lead based paint. I believe they put a new roof on. And that's about it. And this was years ago. Otherwise it's just sitting there being trashed by teens who've mistaken it for their club house.

I've contacted people & offered to be the caretaker but my emails are either ignored or coming back to me. And their restoration project site's down. They've flat dropped the ball.

I also believe rather then turning it into a park few will visit cuz it's in a ghost town they should turn it into a pioneer village like this one: http://www.noblespioneervillage.com. I believe ppl would come from miles around - including classrooms of students here to learn rather then litter & destroy property.

I can't figure out who to contact. But I posted on CN FB page & here so hopefully somebody in charge of this project will read it.

Unless you're having trouble with registering please don't contact me personally. Read the FAQ's, site news/announcements & also search the forums. If you're still have problems w/ this site post questions here. Thanks. Wink

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 am