I Got My Card - Now What Do I Do With It?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

I Got My Card - Now What Do I Do With It?

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 am

I applied for Cherokee housing today. And when I dropped off my app the gal behind the desk & I started yacking. We were chatting about my old forum & all the people trying to prove they're Cherokee & get a card. She told me she's constantly asked what can people do with the card.

If you're out of state not much. I don't know if you can get college funds or not because when I went to college I got pell grants. Otherwise the only people your card helps is your employer & your child's school.

Even if you're in OK you still can't do much. When I lived in Tulsa all we could do was use the freebie clinics & hospitals. We could also apply for housing but if we got it we would've had to move to within the Cherokee Nation. But my mom & her side lived in Tulsa & my only child went to Union Public Schools & had no interest in living in small towns so this was not an option back then.

You have to live within the Cherokee Nation before your card will do you much good. Now that I do live within the Cherokee Nation I get food commods. When I lived alone in Tulsa I got $10/mo food stamps (barely enough to cover a gallon of milk). Getting commods I get a lot more food.

You can also get title transfers & car tags cheaper.

When I moved in my current home they helped pay my deposit & 1st month's rent.

I've had cousins move into homes that needed everything - electric, gas or propane, water, sewage, etc. They help with that.

They will help bury you. They helped bury at least a couple of young cousins.

Then of course there's the housing. I'm holding an app in my hands. They have low income rental housing. That would be apartments. I've been in the apartments here in Locust Grove. I didn't think there was any such thing as a one bedroom apt with washer & dryer connections but they have them there.

They have the rental assistance program...which is basically section 8. With this you can rent anything - apartments, trailers, houses. They just have to accept your voucher & also pass an inspection.

This is evidently new. But they have temporary assistance program. But you must be homeless/living in shelter - etc.

They have the mortgage assistance program (MAP). They help you pay down payment & closing costs. You do have to be a first time homebuyer. You also have to go through training.

This isn't on the application...but I've heard if you have land (in their area) they'll help build you a brand new house.

I'm not sure what else they have. I've never lived in their area 'til 2010 so I'm still learning the ropes. If you know more then I do feel free to reply. Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Re: I Got My Card - Now What Do I Do With It?

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 am

I applied for 2 different types of housing. Low income housing & something like section 8. And I learned with section 8 they hope for you to be self sufficient after a year. For disabled people they might re-certify you for another year. But if they don't then you either have to pay full rent or move. I'd really like to be done with moving.

Unless you're having trouble with registering please don't contact me personally. Read the FAQ's, site news/announcements & also search the forums. If you're still have problems w/ this site post questions here. Thanks. Wink

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 am